RIBBLE VALLEY JUNIORS SUMMER COACHING SESSIONS
Tuesdays, 5 May to 1 Sept 2015 @6:00pm, 1 and 2 hour sessions.
The Tuesday evening Cycling Coaching Sessions for youth riders return for 2015, run by willing volunteers from the Ribble Valley Juniors Cycling Club.
Despite losing some financial support this year, we have kept the very reasonable charges the same as last year.
The sessions will follow a similar format to previous years with the aim to develop riders’ cycle racing skills, from novices to those wishing to compete at a high level.
The sessions will focus on the key skills needed to be able to participate safely, competently and successfully in road racing events.
As last year, with the aim of improving the focus of the coaching and to cater for a range of abilities, riders will be strictly allocated to one of three groups. Movement between groups will be by coach agreement only.
- Novice group – 1 hour session + Time Trial, 6-7 pm. £2.00. Aimed at those new to cycling, young riders and / or those without a road bike.
- Intermediate group – 1 hour session + Time Trial, 6-7 pm. £2.00. Aimed at riders with road bikes, with basic skills and fitness, but not yet ready for the advanced group.
- Advanced group – Time Trial + 1 hour session, 7-8pm. £2.00 (see notes below). For riders who already compete regularly or are about to. Riders must meet all of the following criteria to join this group:
- Complete a sub 3:00 Time Trial
- Assessed by a coach as competent and safe when riding in a bunch
- Be able to ride with (and own) clipless pedals – e.g. SPD, Look, Time, etc.
2015 Time Trial Times
As last year every 6th week will be a ‘race night’ but for 2015 these will be formally organised British Cycling Registered races. As such, on 9th June, 21st July and 1st September the format will change and riders will get a single, long race under BC rules. This is both to encourage riders to engage in the racing scene and to try to fill some of the gap left by the likely absence this year of CDNW Thursday youth race league.
Entry fees for BC licence holders will be £3.50 (£1.50 extra to cover BC levies). Non-licence holders may have to pay for a ‘day licence’ depending on BC membership level. More details will be provided once you have registered for the season. You can still participate in the other 15 coaching sessions if you do not wish to participate in the races – but we would like to see as many youngsters as possible taking part.
- To be able to take part all riders must wear a suitable, cycling specific helmet and have a bike in safe working order.
- Riders in the Advanced group are welcome to join the intermediate session for an additional £1.50, for an extended workout and to pass on their skills and experience.
- Take part in 12 sessions and get the rest of the season for free.
- In the unlikely event that numbers exceed capacity, priority for places at the session will be allocated on the following order of priority:
- Riders from a British Cycling ‘GO-RIDE’ club from the North West cluster*.
- Riders with a current B.C. Racing Licence.
- Riders with a current B.C. membership.
- Others (*Blackpool Youth Cycling Association, Bolton Hot Wheels, Cycle Sport Pendle, Red Rose Olympic, Ribble Valley Juniors)
For more information, please contact Chris Waters:
Tel: 07984 070367
To book a place please fill in the form that can be downloaded on this page and e-mail to above address or bring it along on your first night.
Forms must be signed by a Parent / Guardian.
Previous year’s information and Time Trial times can be found here: